Thursday, November 18, 2010

Prague

It was a very pleasant surprise to find that the cost of living in Prague was much less than anywhere else we had been. When I arrived at my hostel (I was alone at this point as Joe was planning on arriving the following day), I found a note telling me that the receptionist would be back around 10 pm... it was then only 8 pm. "What am I going to do for two hours, with all my stuff, and really no idea of where I am?"

I found this place just a couple doors down the street...




 I walked in and down the stairs and into the restaurant. I walked to the back room, stashed my bags in the corner, and sat down to relax. I drank some beer, the first good beer of the trip and cheap too, and ordered some food. I got the spinach and chicken gnocchi...it was so good, to the point where I was full but I had to finish it. After gorging myself, I stayed in the cellar-like restaurant and wrote in my journal to pass the time. It proved to be a much needed and very valuable time to be alone.

I walked around the city the following day and met Joe at the hostel that night. Great to be reunited! The next day we got after it. Seeing the city from all kinds of viewpoints, such as this one:


a view from the Powder Tower, the palace in the distance

During our time in Prague, we ate great meals (and desserts cuz they now fit within the budget), we saw the palace along with the changing of the guard (quite the production), we took self-guided walking tours, we saw the jewish cemetary (literally gravestones on top and leaning onto other gravestones), we saw the Charles Bridge, we walked through some parks, we saw the Lennon Wall... and much more. 




When John Lennon died someone created a mural on this wall to honor him and the ideas of peace and love, now everyone tags it and it changes its appearance weekly. It had a very cool vibe to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment