Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pomegranate

I think Granada might be on the top of my list as of now. Im not sure if its because of the city itself, the way we spent our time there, or if its just the most fresh, although I think it is a combination of the three. We only spent two nights there but we did a lot, without overexerting ourselves... On second thought, we really only had one full day and we did cram that day full of sights and "going." I would have loved to stay another night, not only to have taken a more relaxed approach, but also to see somethings that we didnt get a chance to. One of the best things we could have done was taking the free (5 euro donation) walking tour, during which our guide casted some of us tourists as characters in the city´s history (Eney was a great Cristóbal Colón/ Christopher Columbus). It was very interesting to know how and why and what everything was and it made seeing all the sights much more meaningful. The walking tour took us around the old part of the city, el Albaicín, for about 2 hours.


El Albaicín (more so the top half w/ more trees)

Then it was off to La Alhambra. Check this out for a quick history if you would like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra It is an amazing place, as I hope some of the following pictures will show.

One of the many amazing (and green) courtyards

One of the many amazingly intricate ceilings
(it is very 3-dimensional)

Handrails con agua
(there were really streams of water flowing
down the handrail, this is my artistic side)

La Alhambra
(from el Albaicín at night)

After Alhambra came food. Then back to the hostel after an aborted attempt at seeing the Cathedral (it cost 3.50 euro, which seems cheap, but we have seen lots of cathedrals and we were very tired). The other guys had begun to get settled in for the night when I brought up the idea of going to see the Sacromonte caves, caves that people live year round (above the top right of the ´el albaicín´ photo). One of the tour guides friends actually got a cave handed down to him from some relative, which is nice cuz he doesn´t have to pay taxes on it. Needless to say, the guys didn´t really want to go so I went on the adventure alone. The caves ended up being semi-difficult to get to and semi-erie once I got there (it was dark at this time). I would still say it was worth seeing, plus it was a good time to be alone to think. I slept so good that night.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Pomegranate is Granada in English...hence the title.

2 comments:

  1. Z, what a great trip you are having, however your
    tunnel & cave episodes are about to give your grams heart failure.

    I'm at Seattle Pacific U with Ben, he is interviewing re; his Phd. We're having a good visit as well.

    We are reallyn enjoying the blogs of you & Katie.

    Stay safe.

    Love,

    Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma, I don´t mean a scare you or make you worry. I am being safe, I promise.

    ReplyDelete